Real World Dreamer

Here I (sometimes) creatively compose/expose my thoughts, dreams, nightmares, and most of all my Wishful Thinking I'm so fond of contemplating.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Odd Things that Stick

I just get really odd ideas in my head that really stick - such as thinking that I want some sticky rice. Remember the Miyasaki's? Having a Chinese/Japanese best friend growing up you get to try fun, new things! Sticky rice was the only kind of rice I liked. (Rice still is not a favorite of mine, although I will eat it...but NOT in burritos or on pizza!) So I looked up how to make it on the internet. Now the internet's a good tool, but you can get too much of an education some times. So now I know that just because regular rice is sticky it doesn't mean that it's sticky rice. You need to get the sweet rice that says it's sweet rice (or glutinous rice), not short grain or long grain, etc. And then you need to soak it and steam it. And do I know how to steam things? No! So, I've got to read the directions on that too. You can steam it in the regular steamers in pots (that I don't have) or in this bamboo contraption deal. Believe it or not, the bamboo steamer directions were much simpler in directions and cheaper to get. So as of today I am a new owner of the complete Thai sticky rice cooking kit, which includes: cheesecloth, steaming basket, the steamer, and the sticky rice itself! And I'm excited to try it! (See this is how I try to fool myself into liking to eat HEALTHY!!!! Try new things!) So maybe this new personal "fad" will stick this time.

Happy playing!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    funny funny funny! We had rice two nights ago and all I ever make is sticky rice. Haven commented on it and I asked her if she remembered the rice balls I'd made. I dont' remember if I learned them from Terri M. or just got the idea from her. Butter on the hands, squish it into a ball, lightly sprinkled with nutmeg. mmmm.
    I don't do anything special other than using my pressure cooker instead of a regular pot (done in 11 minutes!) I use regular rice, don't rinse. I guess the pressure cooker is a sort of steamer isn't it. It's my favorite pot and gets used constantly. I steam all our veggies in it (2 minutes!) and of course rice and I'm sure other things that I cant' remember now.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home