Real World Dreamer

Here I (sometimes) creatively compose/expose my thoughts, dreams, nightmares, and most of all my Wishful Thinking I'm so fond of contemplating.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Need Some Ideas

Hey! Too cool! Ric found me too! I was laughing so hard at imagining some of Day's antics that I had tears in my eyes! I have a son that would not only do the muscle man poses, but many other extremely odd/silly/outrageous faces (and sounds to go with them)...I have caught him doing this in front of his mirror - just because he was bored or something. He just grins at me and answers "I don't know" when he's asked why he does that or where he gets those ideas from. Much entertainment.

But - I was really starting this post with the idea of making a request for some great resume' ideas. I thought it would be fun just to have on paper a list of my professional accomplishments. And most resume's I've seen are quite boring and are not memorable.
Any creative thoughts out there? Parameters being: professional looking, creative, memorable, straight forward, concise, and truthful. (Of course, if you want to throw in ideas on how wonderful I am and the marvelous things you can think of me doing, I will be very receptive and wouldn't tell you to stop!)

See? I'm learning from my sis how to give assignments! I will just throw in some added incentive - I'll even grade you if you want!!!! No? Well, okay - I won't grade you then! (As if any of you would ever do less than A Quality work!!!)

A preemptive thank you to all....

3 Comments:

  • At 5:59 PM , Blogger Amberlynn said...

    Hmmmm, I looked at several resumes while I was recruiting, and I can say the thing that makes a resume most memorable in a good way is straight and simple related experience.

    It's true that spelling mistakes, or too-different resumes are a turn off.

    One different kind of resume I've seen (and done myself) other than the straight list of jobs you've had, is listing instead by skills you have, with bullets of examples under. So, instead of "Job, Dates, Skills" List
    "Skill, -example from this job, -example from that job, etc."

    Also, adding one or two non-job-related personal things about yourself can be nice and give a recruiter something to connect to, but don't let these overshadow your career accomplishments. (College students will do this in the form of club involvement. I get excited when... Oh look, they dance! Me too!) In fact, if you can draw some skill demonstrations from things you've done outside of paid work, that can be an additional bonus.

    On paper, nice paper is a must.
    Online, I prefer PDF formatting. Then you don't run the risk of a recruiter not being able to read whatever format your resume is in, or having your formatting change from computer to computer.

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Coming from a non-paid career and recently having helped several friends in the same situation put a resume together.... (I should put my own together jsut for fun)
    Skills based.
    bullet point with skill - where and when and how it was applied.
    Simple, direct, easily read and accurate.

    oh... and I've read you since you were up but don't often have time to comment or an idea of what to say. Read Linz too but it's been too much trouble when I have to register just to comment on hers. I did try but it didn't go through.

     
  • At 10:10 AM , Blogger Lindsey said...

    Because of my major, I wrote more resumes than I care to remember. One that was really fun was to make two resumes: one that was completely different and creative and off the wall, and one that was normal. I suggest making a very creative one (someone in our class made it like a lift-the-flap book) and then make a normal boring one and then try to blend the two together into something functional and creative. Mess around with crazy formatting and neat graphics. You might find something that really works and captures interest without being over-the top.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home