Real World Dreamer

Here I (sometimes) creatively compose/expose my thoughts, dreams, nightmares, and most of all my Wishful Thinking I'm so fond of contemplating.

Monday, August 01, 2005

Good Point

Now I must continue in what deserves another posting.

Yellow said:
If anything, internet American (WORLD!) Life has made my community richer, deeper, more connected.
Let's not berate the negative we project from what may be our own weaknesses to the internet community as a whole. There is good in the world. There is bad that happens.
What do YOU do? What do YOU choose?I don't feel any blanket statement on disconnectedness is truly valid.

K. Me? I try not to be be the addict, I could easily get sucked up into like I can do with TV. (One very real reason why we don't subscribe to TV, beside it being a waste of money - can't get good reception without cable.) I do have issues with information available on the internet - but you're right. The internet itself is not to blame. It's just the choice of not using self-discipline.

I find it an interesting thought to think of how isolated we can choose to become and feel okay about it because of the depth of feelings that can be safely communicated through the internet. That's the rub that set me off. It does work both ways, for good and evil. Very powerful tool. For one with social issues, (although this is not my own personal hang-up either), I can see how easy it would be to avoid the discomfort of developing in-person relationships - it is way too easy to hide out, yet gratify your need to create emotianal attachments with little or no risk. I'm one who believes it is necessary to bond in-person with those outside of the confines of your own home, I believe that we need each other in order to become better people ourselves. It takes risk to care.

[I "cried" (teared up but not dripping) this morning when my friend told me his (grown-up) daughter was killed this weekend (a car hit her from behind when she was out jogging). I am terribly sad for my friend - I cannot imagine losing one of my children. He's not had an easy life. I hope he takes comfort in that I am concerned for his well-being. I suppose this relationship could have taken place on the computer as opposed to the business offce. Seeing the facial expression, hearing the tone of voice is priceless - extremely difficult to replace.]

There are many negative things in real life that I could avoid if I only had cyber-relationships...I could avoid a lot of heart ache. But the physical touch, the glance that says 100 words - it's worth the risk I keep telling myself when I wish I could do without all the real life gunck.

Sigh - it's Monday. It's cloudy.
I feel it.

But despite being run-down I know that 80% of my tiredness comes from staying up too late to finish my book! My fault. I accept the consequences.
I feel some tentative resolve returning to commit to have self-discipline again. I keep changing my mind on myself, though - but I've held out for the 6 hours I've been up already. (It's been a busy Monday morning - taking me 2 hours to complete this!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home