Real World Dreamer

Here I (sometimes) creatively compose/expose my thoughts, dreams, nightmares, and most of all my Wishful Thinking I'm so fond of contemplating.

Saturday, November 07, 2009

Lessons in Etiquette.... for Grown Ups!

Hmmm.... Maybe not all adults are as mature as we expect them to be.
Maybe concert etiquette should go on the cover of the program instead of on the back page. I find it sad that grown ups should have to be taught at all! They should have learned it back in their school days! (Especially when the adults look like they may have been in high school in the 50's! I KNOW kids were taught more respect then, more so than in my 70's and 80's!)

So I think I just may be one of those directors that throws a hissy fit for unneccessary rudeness. I guess I know that I need to do what I can - set up procedures from the beginning - to prevent it from happening. Not cool to embarrass everyone with a temper tantrum!

Kids noise (necessary rudeness) can't be helped. It can be minimized.
Adult unnecessary noise (talking and wrappers)-during a recorded concert especially! - should not have to be tolerated by anyone!

Preventative measures then:
Teach the students proper behavior and send notes home to families.
Have ushers that only allow people in during breaks between numbers and/or
Post expectations on concert doors
(That would be cheaper than inserts in programs)
It would be nice to have ushers with signs to shush noisy people - and kick them out if they can't deal with it.

Boy! I sound grumpy! Is it really that bad? Or is it just me?
I do seem to be near many adults who forget to whisper during a concert! I am amazed! And here in retirement city I wonder if it's just hearing aid issues, but.... People! If you have hearing problems, bring a pen and paper and write notes!!!!

I learned after the concert last night that the rude adults had snuck alcohol into the family event. There's no sense in making a fuss with people like that, so glad I controlled myself. I really did want to write a big SHUT UP! sign to them. I probably would have had I the paper and pen! Glad I didn't. I only like making a scene in appropriate circumstances...not when I'm not the one who should be the center of attention. The greater good has to win out, despite my own irritations. Recording of the concert should not include an irritated audience member berating the other rude audience members! So I did my best to ignore after the initial silent Sh'shd communication didn't work. But I learned I still do have my temper!!!

So I'm glad to have discovered that before I do have a choir in which I'm directing and I have to deal with it. I might end up throwing a stick and impaling poor gabby idiots!

(And I think I've probably been guilty of the infraction myself, so I ought to really be a little nicer with a bit more patience...)

It's all in the education. Making rules and then sticking to em.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:34 AM , Blogger Lindsey said...

    or you could come to MT to conducct. Our Symphony audiences are very well versed in etiquette, and don't even clap until the conductor puts down his baton, like a good audience should. Then they go wild. It's great! We even had a very good audience of 5th and 6th graders, who waited until the Q&A to really make noise. Of course, they were squirmy, but that can't be helped. Better luck in the future.

     
  • At 11:01 PM , Anonymous sam said...

    hey liked you n ur blog too.
    totally impressed......
    frankly speaking lez b frenzz....
    answer as soon as possible.
    i am also a blogger
    www.ahmadsyeds.blogspot.com

    ..............m waiting


    ahmadsyed

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home